Pages

Monday, September 4, 2017

                    Justine, Whats your major? Freshman year I decided I was going to stay undeclared so I could explore different things before settling into one. I remember feeling bad most times people asked me because I didn't know what I wanted to do. I had already been thinking of declaring a major in sociology. My family use to tell me, that I should pick something else because social workers make little money. But I didn't care because the one thing I knew for sure was that I wanted to help people. When I was a kid, I was always very unselfish, I was always doing things to help everybody. I was apart of this pioneer program that did a lot of community service consisting of planting flowers in a small town cemetery, toy drive for Christmas and a lot of other things. I loved doing all these things but my favorite had to be feeding the homeless on Thanksgiving day, just being able to bring a smile to those people was enough for me. 
 
                   You guys will learn more about why I chose sociology throughout our journey. How would you define sociology? Well...sociology is the study of humans and the way they behave and interact in the world. It explains why people are they way they are. It explains important parts in our personal life, our communities and in the world and cultures around us. How can sociology be useful to us? I remember having a conversation with a older gentleman in one of my sociology classes my junior year, and never being able to let this idea go. Sociology observes our own culture as well as others, heritage and different backgrounds. Is shows how culture plays a role in the way different groups act, how is it could reflect on their society.
                                           Related image
                 

No comments:

Post a Comment